An air ionizer is a device that charges air molecules. The purpose of an air ionizer is to remove particles in the air. The air ionizer is sold as a stand-alone device and is used as an additional feature of air purifiers to purify the air.
Air ionizers have various names such as “ionized air purifier”, “negative ion generator”, “ionized air purifier”, and “electrostatic air purifier”. Therefore, when we talk about what an ionizer is, we refer to all these types of machines.
How Does Ionic Air Purifier Work?
Ionic air purifiers release a stable flow of negative ions into the air. These negative ions attach to molecules in the air, negatively charging them and attracting nearby positively charged particles. When this attraction is generated, it collects the pollutants and other contaminants in the air. Eventually, the molecules become heavier and fall to the ground or nearby surfaces, creating a dirty surface around the air purifier.
Benefits of Ionic Air Purifiers
To better understand why ionic air purifiers are so good, let’s take a look at some of the potential benefits it.
- The high concentration of negative ions in the air can reduce the number of bacteria in the air.
- Helps solve breathing problems caused by irritation and inflammation.
- Studies have shown that exposure to negative ions can help seasonal affective disorder.
- Ionic air purifiers help clean mold spores, dust, pet dander, dust and pollen in the air.
- Can reduce allergens that cause asthma attacks.
- Norwich Union revealed that installing air purifiers based on ion technologies help reduce headaches in an office.
- It can also improve performance and increase your ability to focus on tasks.
How to Choose an Ionic air purifier?
Air purifiers should have some non-negotiable features, as well as many other specifications that should be considered before purchasing such products:
- The size of the room is a factor to consider before buying an air purifier. The unit is effectively designed for a given space. In other words, a small-capacity purifier does not work well in a large room. If you find a product with an AHAM Verified seal, you can be sure that it will cover the space that the device claims to cover.
- Replacing the filter is a consumable item and the cost must be considered. Purifiers that use activated carbon filters need to be replaced every 3 months, while pleated filters need to be replaced every 6-12 months. The cost of these filters is important. This is a long-term commitment cost, and the price between filters ranges from $18 to $250.
- If you need to listen all the time, the noise level of the air purifier is very important, especially if you use it in the bedroom and sleep lightly.
- A filter with an air quality sensor can indicate the degree of air pollution and make necessary efficiency adjustments accordingly.
- For convenience, it is recommended to equip a remote-controlled air purifier, but it is not necessary to operate the unit. They only allow you to modify the settings without getting up.